The Ward Hall was built on the site of the old Social Hall (which is just north of the old Rock Church). It was rushed to completion in the fall of 1897 and deeded to the State of Utah so the Branch Normal School of the University of Utah could be legally operated for its first year. The building was the first home of Southern Utah State College. The Ward Hall was returned to the LDS Church in the fall of 1898 on completion of the Old Main on the Temple Knoll. The Cedar City National Guard Armory stood on this site from 1937-1978.