Below is a chronological timeline of historical events in Cedar City, Utah.
April 30, 2020: F-35A flyover in support of first responders
April 9, 2020: New temple president coming in October 2020 (Rulon Larry Brough)
March-April 2020: Stay Home, Stay Safe (Covid-19 coronavirus)
February 29, 2020: Cedar High girls basketball won Utah 4A championship
December 4, 2019: Piano Guys concert at the Centrum Arena
April 12, 2019: Redmen changed to Reds at Cedar High. Mascot became Wolves.
December 10, 2017: Cedar City Temple dedicated
September 28, 2017: Centrum Arena renamed American First Events Center
2016: Name slightly changed to Utah Shakespeare Festival
December 24, 2015: Top Spot closed. It reopened later.
November 2013: Maile Wilson became Cedar City’s first female mayor. She was also the youngest mayor.
August 23, 2008: Employees from Southwest Skin and Cancer Clinic killed in plane crash near Moab.
November 10, 2007: Henry Lunt statue
October 2005: R. Scott Phillips was named executive director of the Utah Shakespearean Festival
2003: Kmart closed
2000: Lighthouse built in the Providence Center
1997: Canyon View High School established. First principal was Vicki Wilson.
March 1996: SUU Sherratt Library
1991: Southern Utah State College renamed to Southern Utah University
1989: Morton Metalcraft changed to Metalcraft Technologies
1986: Utah Summer Games begun by Gerald Sherratt
August 1971: El Escalante Hotel demolished
1963: Current Cedar High School building was opened
1961: Utah Shakespearean Festival founded by Fred C. Adams. First season began in 1962.
December 12, 1948: Old Main fire
September 1940: Cedar High School founded
1932: Cedar City Tabernacle demolishedInstall LDS Scriptures for Free for Android!
1923: El Escalante Hotel purchased by Union Pacific to accomodate tourists
1898: First building dedicated at the Branch Normal School (Old Main)
1897: Branch Normal School (named SUU today)
1885: Cedar City Tabernacle erected
November 1857: Mountain Meadows Massacre
November 11, 1851: Cedar City settled by Mormon pioneers (led by Henry Lunt) on the north bank of Coal Creek.