[Best_Wordpress_Gallery id=”6″ gal_title=”Old Main”]
Old Main, finished in 1898, was SUU’s first building. SUU was founded in 1897 as the Branch Normal School. The building was built with materials, money, and labor donated by the 1,500 citizens of Cedar City. Many citizens mortgaged their homes and farms to help build the first building of this school.
The fire, which occurred early in the morning of Dec. 12, 1948, destroyed the roof and the upper floor of the building and damaged most of the bottom levels.
Old Main was remodeled in 1950 and officially became known as Old Main in 1953 after the Auditorium, which doubled as the library, was built.