The hydrotube was located next to the old Cedar Middle School on Harding Avenue.
The War Memorial Fieldhouse was opened in 1950 and was razed in 1986 following the completion of the Centrum. Basketball was played in the fieldhouse and it was located north of the Sherratt Library and just west of the business building, where the east side of the Sharwan Smith Center is today.
The El Escalante Hotel was located on the corner of main street and 200 north where Sizzler is located today. The purchase and completion of Hotel El Escalante cost $265,000. The El Escalante Hotel had its best year ever in 1941 and still lost $14,000. The Utah Parks Company owned the hotel. Visitors intending to take the park loop on a Utah Parks Company bus were required to stay their first night in Cedar City. The venerable El Escalante was especially well known to escorts in the 1960s, many from Greyhound Bus Lines, arriving via bus for a tour of the Parks. With up to 39 travelers per tour, the groups confronted the El Escalante, offering only 23 rooms, some sharing bathrooms. It was a common joke among escorts that if you could survive that first night at the El Escalante with a full tour, you could survive most anything. The hotel had a banquet hall. Before the hotel was built, Jim Hunter used to live in a home on that same property. Before the building was demolished, it was used as dorms for college students and KSUB radio had a studio in the basement.
The Cedar City Train Depot was located on the corner of main street and 200 N (where the Depot Grill is located today). The Union Pacific Railroad Company reached Cedar City in 1923. This contributed greatly to Cedar City’s growth in mining and agriculture, providing an outlet for the products of the iron mines as well as produce. The railroad exposed Utah’s National Parks to the world of tourism and Cedar City was dubbed “the gateway to the parks.” Though the Depot was closed in 1959, the railroad still comes through Cedar City and transports products in and out of the community.
F. W. Woolworth Co. was a retail store located on the west side of main street.
The Ward Hall was built on the site of the old Social Hall (which is just north of the old Rock Church). It was rushed to completion in the fall of 1897 and deeded to the State of Utah so the Branch Normal School of the University of Utah could be legally operated for its first year. The building was the first home of Southern Utah State College. The Ward Hall was returned to the LDS Church in the fall of 1898 on completion of the Old Main on the Temple Knoll. The Cedar City National Guard Armory stood on this site from 1937-1978.
On January 6, 1861, a committee was appointed, composed of Samuel Leigh, John M. Higbee and Isaac C. Haight, who recommeded building a social hall. With materials scarce and labor plentiful, the schoolhouse in the Old Fort was dismantled, brick by brick, and reassembled in the new location (Block 37 Lot 18) to become known as the “Social Hall.” This one-story building had four windows on each side, a fireplace in the west end, and a door in the east end. The Social Hall was used for church, school, dances, dramatics, funerals, civic and social needs. School functions were transferred from the Social Hall in 1881 when the new school building was finished on the southeast corner of the block. The tabernacle was completed in 1888 for religious purposes, but the Social Hall continued to serve for recreation and other needs until the ward hall was built north of the school building in 1897. At this time the Social Hall was considered unsafe for public use and was torn down.