Swindlehurst Funeral Home

swindlehurst-funeral-home-mortuary
Swindlehurst Funeral Home

Swindlehurst Funeral Home strives to serve families of all denominations and make funeral service more affordable. They are a full service mortuary. They conduct services in churches, public buildings, and cemeteries. Because they operate with a low overhead, they can pass the savings along to families without sacrificing quality. The funeral directory for Swindlehurst Funeral Home is Coby K. Swindlehurst. Kent S. Swindlehurst is the funeral assistant.

Address: 2071 N Main St
Phone: 435-867-5566

Web Site: http://www.swindlehurstfuneralhome.com

New 256 GB Micro SDXC Memory Card Only $50!
66% Savings vs Walmart!
Click picture for more details!

Fred C. Adams

Fred C. Adams
Fred C. Adams

Fred C. Adams is the founder of the Utah Shakespeare Festival in 1961. He resides in Cedar City and attended BYU. Fred’s wife Barbara Adams passed away in 2008. Fred was awarded the Madeleine Award.

New 256 GB Micro SDXC Memory Card Only $50!
66% Savings vs Walmart!
Click picture for more details!

Old Main

Old Main, finished in 1898, was SUU’s first building. SUU was founded in 1897 as the Branch Normal School. The building was built with materials, money, and labor donated by the 1,500 citizens of Cedar City. Many citizens mortgaged their homes and farms to help build the first building of this school.

The fire, which occurred early in the morning of Dec. 12, 1948, destroyed the roof and the upper floor of the building and damaged most of the bottom levels.

Old Main was remodeled in 1950 and officially became known as Old Main in 1953 after the Auditorium, which doubled as the library, was built.

Cedar City Tabernacle

The Cedar City Tabernacle was located on the corner of main street and center street (where the city offices are located today) and was erected in 1885. It was demolished in the spring of 1932 to make way for a post office. The Rock Church replaced the tabernacle. The $29,000 from the sale of the tabernacle went toward construction of the Rock Church, which ended up costing $87,000 (paid through donations and funds from church headquarters). The Rock Church also is home to the old tabernacle’s clock (bought from a Swiss maker with money collected by LDS primary children). The clock still keeps time in the church’s spire.

Next to the Rock Church is a sign with these words:

A tabernacle was erected in 1885 on the adjoining corner of Main and Center Street and was demolished in the spring of 1932. In 1872 Bishop Christopher J. Arthur suggested that this Tabernacle be built to replace the Social Hall. Mayhew Dalley drew the plans for a building 72 X 41-1/2 feet with a tower 110 feet high. Edward J. Ashton of Salt Lake City was engaged as architect and Bengt Nelson was appointed director. The excavation was dug in 1872, but because labor was needed on the St. George Temple, the work was postponed until 1877. The Tabernacle was built of local materials except for the windows. Lumber was cut in Deep Creek, the bricks were burned south of town, shingles were made, and plastering was done. The stone tablet inscribed “Holiness to the Lord” was placed in 1885.

The town clock in the tower was a gift from the city and ward. A ball and weather indicator topped the tower. Conference was held in the unplastered building in 1887. A gallery was added later. December 20, 1931, the U.S. Government approved the purchase of the ground for a post office. The last meeting was held in the historic Tabernacle in 1932 prior to its demolition. The Tabernacle was a community project and served the people well for forty-seven years.

Best Western Town & Country Inn

Best Western Town & Country
Best Western Town & Country

Best Western Town & Country Inn is located at 189 N Main St. There is a north section and a south section of the motel. There are two swimming pools. There is also a conference room, breakfast room and fitness room at Best Western Town & Country.

435-586-9900
800-493-0062

http://www.bwtowncountry.com

info@bwtowncountry.com